Early spring riding.

A place to list or find dirt bike ride notices.

Re: Early spring riding.

Postby sensor330 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:19 pm

TrentG wrote:Just moved here from BC; jonesing for a trail ride....who's game this weekend?

Trent

I moved here from BC in September. I'd be up for a ride this weekend if we can sort out a location. The post is this thread look promising, however we'll need some GPS tracks to ensure we're on the right spot.

Scott
sensor330
Intermediate Contributor

enthusiast: Yes
Skill testing question: 2435

Postby zedro » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm

I wouldnt count on Calabogie this weekend, especially if your not familiar with the area. From looking at sledding posts on facebook, there's going to be lots of soft snow pack still left. That and it's snowing another 12cm.
zedro
Veteran Contributor

Postby stephlal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Ryan and I visited Calabogie today.

Arnprior <2" of snow left
The drive on the 508 was 2-3" then 2 feet, very sporadic snow accumulation the whole way.

Parked at Highfalls, we took to Bompas first.
2nd / 3rd gear no issue...mostly 2-4" of snow, dealt with deadfall, a bad water crossing, we did about 4km's in 35min.
We did about 1 km under the hydro line from staircase to new trail, out in the open, snow baking in the sun, it still felt and looked like 2-4" of snow until we got to a big downhill...
Ryan was leading, I cress the hill only to see him knee deep in snow and could barely see the wheels.
That's when we discovered we'd been riding on 2 feet of snow with an ice crust 3-6" from the top that was floating us.
Seeing that, we didn't want to chance moving forward, so we doubled back.
That's when we also discovered the last 1km had just enough of a downhill grade that our momentum got us that far without breaking through the layer of ice.
Studs did squat, our swing arm would get stuck on the ice crust with the wheel spinning...the only way forward was to break the ice crust with our feet, only to drop another 6-18" to hit the ground depending on where we were on the trail, pin it and tug!
It took us 3 hours to backtrack 1km to staircase, it was brutal.

Moral of the story...front tuggers are the bomb, bompas can suck it, the storm patterns this winter left very sporadic accumulations throughout calabogie.
We'll be visiting next weekend :D
Steph
KTM 300 XC-W
stephlal
Hardcore Contributor

Postby rossw » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:35 am

Thanks for the report, sounds like you got an excellent work out on the way back ;-) Sounds like it was brutal.

Look forward to see if next weekend is any better.
rossw
Hardcore Contributor

Postby rossw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:26 am

Has anyone been to Calabogie lately? Still snow? How wet?

Thanks,
Ross
rossw
Hardcore Contributor

Previous

Return to Rides Board