Insurance for my kid

A place to discuss your kids and dirt bikes

Re: Insurance for my kid

Postby SkyHawk » Fri May 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Okay. I've emailed my mpp office twice. I've called and left a message with the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) and also sent them a message online via contact form. I encourage others to do the same if like me you feel this is wrong.
SkyHawk
Novice Contributor

enthusiast: Yes
Skill testing question: 8901

Postby mart242 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 am

Just call for a quote, say it's your bike but you want to add OPCF 32 and make it clear that it's for off road use only. It provides coverage when any person who does not have a drivers license, or is not authorized by law to drive, operates or drives your recreational vehicle off a public highway.

Don't go into details.
mart242
Intermediate Contributor

Skill testing question: 2435

Postby SimonGagne » Wed May 20, 2020 10:41 am

mart242 wrote:Just call for a quote, say it's your bike but you want to add OPCF 32 and make it clear that it's for off road use only. It provides coverage when any person who does not have a drivers license, or is not authorized by law to drive, operates or drives your recreational vehicle off a public highway.

Don't go into details.

I tried that... the broker was not the issue, but then when he sent the paperwork to the insurance company offices, they saw the bike were smaller displacement(50 &110) and they made me sign a paper stating the bikes will not be used by any underage operator living in the same household and that doing so would void insurance coverage and constitute a false insurance declaration that could affect my other premiums(car, house, etc).

Not sure if it would hold in court, but it doesn't seem to be in my favour.

And yes, I did call all the insurers\brokers I could find that advertise offroad insurance.

So right now I pay for insurance that doesn't even really provide coverage and risk increasing all my other premiums, just so I can get the pink slip and avoid potential tickets. I've tried really hard to do this following all the rules and being law-abiding, but at this point, I'm seriously considering not having insurance on my kid's bikes and take my chances with the fines given that I have never been stopped for insurance\registration in 4 years of regular riding with my kids.

I find it sad this comes to that, but that's pretty much it: either you lie to your insurance company or your ride with no insurance for your kids!

Simon
SimonGagne
Intermediate Contributor

Postby mart242 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Crap that really sucks indeed. I guess I lucked out when I insured the two small bikes two years ago.
mart242
Intermediate Contributor

Postby rossw » Tue May 26, 2020 7:25 pm

I have been informed that there is another option out there and they will insure children less than 12 years.

Northbridge Insurance
Kyle Brown
905-648-3922

If you contact Kyle @ Northbridge, please update this thread with your experience.

Thanks,
Ross
rossw
Hardcore Contributor

Postby Trevd » Wed May 27, 2020 8:35 pm

Try George Rappos. Insured a 50 and a 100 this year, no problem.

https://www.georgerappos.com

Trevor
Trevd
Novice Contributor

enthusiast: No

Previous

Return to Introducing kids to dirt bikes